POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : What has 8 legs & stinging tail? [~454K Mpg] : Re: What has 8 legs & stinging tail? [~454K Mpg] Server Time
20 Jul 2024 19:23:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What has 8 legs & stinging tail? [~454K Mpg]
From: Jamie Davison
Date: 14 Sep 2000 16:21:34
Message: <MPG.142b3c10bde649079897d5@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 14:33:06 +0200, Zeger Knaepen wrote...
> Nice!
> But I think a scorpion has 10 legs.  Well, yours has anyway.
> (Those things in the front, I don't know how you call it in English, are
> legs too!  They're more evolved than the other ones, but they are legs.)

Scorpions have 8 legs, one pair of Pedipalps (the pincers/claws), and a
pair on Chelicerae (small pincer like accessory mouthparts)

Useless trivia time, their anal opening is on the last segment of the
tail (postabdomen) before the stinging apparatus and barb.

For a really spectacular show, place a scorpion under an Ultraviolet
light source...  They fluoresce, some species more spectacularly than
others.

Actually, this might be useful if you want to go scorpion spotting at
night, simply take along a UV light source.

I'll stop waffling now, but as you may have gathered, I like
invertebrates :)

Oh, and as far as the animation goes, I sort of like it, but that floor
texture really interferes with seeing what their legs are doing (maybe
this was the whole point of it)

Bye for now,
     Jamie.